Tuesday, 31 January 2012

Why I made my Facebook profile public

Admittedly I haven't written a blog post in a while. So why not justify something which many people will think is outrageous, making my Facebook profile completely public. I mean, especially given I'm in the midst of applying for jobs. Why would I do this? Have I lost my mind? You might ask. So I'll offer a couple of reasons why I decided to do the unthinkable for such a media savvy generation.

Firstly, I honestly don't think I have much to hide. Sure I'm no saint, but its not like I'm up to anything that a social, university student wouldn't do. Allow me to ruin the surprise, on my profile you'll find pictures of me drinking. Yes I said it. You'll find my opinion on topics which many won't necessarily agree with. If you look hard enough you'd probably be able to find pictures, posts, etc. of things that aren't even condoned by the law. But I'm OK with that.

My message to potential employers is clear, wouldn't you rather hire someone with a little bit more personality transparency? The fact is I'm not trying to hide, but to stand out. Amongst a sea of locked down profiles I'm offering mine on a silver platter, to the common conception of salivating potential employer absolutely intent on digging up as much dirt on me as they can get.

And you know what? If that's what they're doing, if I walk into an interview and they have a print out of a picture of me at Beta nightclub with a beer in my hand, I'll make it easy on them, I'll walk out. If a company is seriously going to have a problem with my personality, with who I am and what I choose to do, then the job wouldn't fit. I don't want to work for them anyway.

I also have faith in reason. If I walked into an interview and they showed me a post/picture/comment from 2007 all I would have to do is explain how I've changed and grown as an individual. I would tell them to look at the past year of my profile, and then make their judgements.

Then, of course, there is the argument that I cannot control what OTHER people will post on my wall or tag me in. My solution? Remove the wall function from my profile and turn on Facebook's feature that allows you to 'approve' anything you are tagged in. Now my profile is moderated completely by me. I just have to remember to sign out of my Facebook if I leave my computer in the living room in order to avoid a status hijacking (or at least hope that potential employers would figure out I'm not willing to express such public love for "Big black D").

So potential employers, go nuts. I'm not trying to hide who I am, I'm trying to show you something real, something other people don't show you. Call me crazy, and admittedly this might come to bite me in the ass but I'm up for the experiment. My Facebook profile is now public, I am applying for jobs, and those are my reasons. Hope you enjoyed this, and I hope I've swayed any of you curious enough to read the entirety of this post to do the same.

Cheers.

1 comment: